Thursday, March 17, 2011

Getting ready for # 3 (Grandchild) Part 1

Camilla & Walker are expecting their first baby in May. Everyone asked me if I'm sewing lots of things for the baby. The answer is no, (I will sew some things) but mostly I have been washing & ironing all the clothes that I made about 30 years ago. It's really fun to pull out all the old things, some of them my mother made when I was expecting my first. I've already gone through this process with Heyward's 2 girls, but it was really fun to see all the "Little Boy" clothes.

Over the years I have had lots of friends and clients ask me "How to" questions about cleaning and storing their linens and valuable childrens clothing, so I thought I would share with you what I do with them.




I start with these two things, "Oxi Clean" & "Biz", I like to pre-treat with "Oxi Clean" all the spots and stains, then I soak everything in lots of "Biz" in the hottest water that you think your fabrics will tolerate. Sometimes it will takes weeks for the stains to come out, change the solution several times if it takes a while.



Rinsing takes a couple of days, I usually do this about 4-5 times a day, cool freah water, squish around a little, drain, and start over. They say you should rinse until you would drink the water! After this, just spread them out on a towel and let them air dry.

 If all you are trying to do is get them ready to store, then they are ready to be put up. The best way to store them is wrapped in acid-free paper or put into a cotton or linen pillowcase. You can then put them away in a box. You should get them out every couple of years and rearrange the way they are folded.

Now after saying all that, I will say that I have found clothes in the attic wrapped in brown paper bags and clothes hanging on wire coat hangers in Florida, no less, and they have all been great. Cleaned and worn by another generation or two. I do put my things in big plastic boxes with slivers of "Irish Spring" soap, after wrapping in acid-free paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment